6.4.09

Review of film: MULAN

In a word: wonderful.

In 454 words:

It's been years since I last watched this. I'd forgotten how funny it was. Sometimes, though, Eddie Murphy gets on my nerves and steals the show a bit.

For those that haven't seen Mulan, It's set in China during the Sui dynasty (which means the time when China and the Mongols were at war - hence the great wall of China)

One man from every Family in Mulan's village is called up, and being the only man in the family, Mulan's father steps up to the honour. Opposing to this "honour", and previously disgracing her family name, Mulan decides to Take the draft paper and pose as a man in the army. Woops.

Knowing Mulan has escaped to the country The Ancestors send the great stone dragon after her but a small red dragon named Mushu accidentally breaks it, so he goes in its place.

Thinking it would be a good idea, Mushu teaches (unsuccessfully) Mulan how to act like a man which result in enemies...

Upon failing so much Mulan gets thrown out of the army mid-song, but proves herself worthy by climbing the top of a large pole and fetching (so kindly) her dashing commander’s arrow.

No and expects her to be a man until She is wounded while taking down the whole Hun army simultaneously saving her commander. She is spared because she saved the commander.

There is a large celebration yet, Shock and horror - some of the Huns aren't dead! And then it's the climactic ending.

AHG! Tay Zonday is depressing me!

So, you got the essentials; good story, good voice acting, good animation.

It's great for kids. I loved it and about ten or so years later, i still love it. It has the charm which settles you down for some good laughs. The music is a way to illustrate tehe situation to children which it does very well. The only thing with the singing is that captain le Shang's singing voice is Donny Osmond...

The signing up scene reminded me so much of some of the sound clips in Red Alert 3 with all the emperor and honour...

The best bit by far is the "Man bit". i was laughing for a solid five minutes, at least. For some reason women trying to act like men is quite funny because (and I don't know why) they always try to complicated... either that or just burp and fart.

Lots of wisdom and wise words are bound to fill your head after watching this film.

I would say, if you don’t like war or Chinese people and prefer Football (English football) and Americans you should watch 'She's the man' - it's pretty much the same thing. WATCH MULAN NOW!

8 comments:

  1. This one was indeed great. Thanks for a great post/review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freaking LOVE Mulan!
    Except when she goes all emo and sings, but really I do enjoy it. Oh and I love the cricket. He is really cute.
    Now I am going to go and watch this. Thanks or distracting me from my chemistry homework!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey! thanks for the comment..

    good day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't seen it but ... since you give it a "thumbs up" ... think I'll go get it!

    Thanks!

    Small footprints
    http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mulan: defo (Y).

    Amazing blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha I had forgotten how much i liked this movie.
    Great review :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK........I will watch it.....never seen it
    great review

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a great blog here, and I love your whole character... I'll elaborate on that later.

    But yes, Mulan was a great Disney film. Disney started to get bad after Tarzan came out, and for ten years, we've been deprived of really good animations (that don't involve Pixar).

    As I'm Chinese, I approached Mulan with a bit critically, expecting some cheesy or incorrect Chinese references (like Mummy 3: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, my God, what a terrible film). In the end, Mulan turned out to be awesome, just like Disney had been doing since Snow White.

    Lilo and Stitch? Brother Bear? Home On the Range? What the Hell is going on in the Disney studios?

    Michael.

    ReplyDelete